Well, here's what's on my mind...

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Speaker Tracey Everbach

I enjoyed Tracey's speech of how the Journalism field in the newsrooms, to sum it up in a nutshell, is mostly male-dominated. Her revelations that she discovered throughout her case study that she did on newsrooms was an eye-opener. Now, I knew that this field, although the majority is women in classrooms, was 'ruled by men' you could say almost, but after her speech I realized something. For some reason I felt like I'd never make it somewhere in this field. In fact, even though I enjoyd her speech and sharing her ideas with the class, I was completely turned off. It's unfortunate to realize that I have to work twice as hard as the 'blo Jo' next to me.

I went home that day thinking hard. I even talked to my mom. She asked me how class was going and that is when I told her what I had realized. Is Journalism really worth all this? Don't get me wrong I love it, which is why I'm here learning rather than being outside and 'soaking up the sun.' I just find it rather disappointing that after all these years and inventions are being made, yet there's almost no difference in the newsrooms. Men still make almost all the choices and women play the supporting role in this.

Hopefully with more classes like this, it will get men and women to realize the 'glass ceiling' that women have to overcome and the future journalists of the world will have more of an equal opporunity. If this is the case, and I can contribute with the knowledge I learn in this class about making the media less corrupt with junk as Baudrillard said, then I know that it's worth it to be a Journalist and do something I enjoy and love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home