Well, here's what's on my mind...

Saturday, December 15, 2007

13th Week--Incident with Difference & Diversity

Our discussion in class today was very interesting and one of my favorie discussions. This is probably because I have had my first-hand experience with difference and diversity:

I used to work at this restaurant that appeared to run smoothly and very professionally. I might have been wrong. I was a hostess and one of my many responsibilites entailed me making sure that a smooth rotation was in place so that each waiter got equal amount of tables. On several occassion with almost all the waiters preferential treatment would occur. The waiters had a 'name' for African Americans since it was a 'known' fact around there that they didn't tip fairly. It was "Canadian." So everytime an African American family came to eat they would not take the table and would come up to me and tell me, "I'm not taking the table with Canadians. Give it to somebody else." This became very frusterating and not just that but ethically and morally wrong! No one should be stereotyped like that but the cruel truth is that people do act like that and that kind of behavior needs to be noticed by the manager team. I think similar situations like this have occurred in more restaurants than we want to believe but nobody says anything therefore this type of inappropriate behavior continues. What comes to mind, is the ethical paradigm justice VS fairness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home