Well, here's what's on my mind...

Friday, June 02, 2006

Has anybody seen my 'greaser?'

So we learned what "greasers" were on the 25th of May. Man! What an awful name to refer to Mexicans back in the day. They were defined as "immoral crooks that try to steal white women." I personally found it appalling that Mexcians only fitted into this narrow category of roles they could play in movies back in the day. For instance, Mexican women were only portrayed as the "bad girl, unfaithful and crazy" women. This is absolutely not true! It is unfortunate that our mind-sets had started off like that and sometimes still hold that mentality to this day. It's not Mexicans ever did anything to inherit the name "greaser" so how come they got stuck with it? I'll tell you what I think. I think it's because their skin isn't as 'light and pure' as Americans and therefore are stuck with this unfortunate stereotype.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home